Whole30 Auguachiles Verdes
Aguachiles Verdes are traditional to the Northern Pacific Coast of Mexico. It’s one of my favorite dishes because they’re easy to make, light, refreshing, and packed with flavor.
To make the best aguachiles, it’s important to use the freshest ingredients and season well. If you're a visual person, you can see a short reel I posted on instagram. If you want to follow along as I cook, here's the Intagram Live video i posted, showing you how to make this dish.
- 1 pound raw shrimp (peeled and deveined, tails removed)
- 10 large limes
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber
- 1 serrano chili, or jalapeño
- Tostadas if you’re not doing Whole30
- Devein shrimp and butterfly it
- Place all the shrimp in a bowl and lightly salt and mix it, then add the juice of three limes and let it sit.
- Finely slice purple onion, length-wise. Place onion in a bowl, lightly salt, and add the juice of two limes. Let them sit.
- Peel the cucumber and cut in rounds.
- In a blender, combine the remaining lime juice, as well as the lime juice the shrimp has been curing in, add serrano chili, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth then taste for salt. *Try to avoid blending to a point where the mixture gets hot.
- Plate it, lay the shrimp skin down, by doing it this way it allows for the mixture to seep into the ridges. Sprinkle salt.
- Add the green salsa mixture
- Place cucumber rounds over the shrimp and mixture and then place the onion on top.
- Cut and peel the avocado and place it on top.